Ex Labor leader, Mark Latham, recently joined Pauline
Hanson's One Nation Party and will be running for the NSW
legislative council at the next state election. Here is his 8-Point
Plan to "save Sydney suffocating from overpopulation and
Latham's 8-Point Plan
1. Our immigration program must be framed in the interest of the
people who live here now. This is especially true of policies
impacting on an over-crowded, increasingly dysfunctional city like
2. Permanent immigration numbers should be slashed, bringing
them closer to their 20th Century average of 70,000 per annum (down
from 190,000 currently). Temporary visas must also be cut back.
3. NSW should not take any more special refugee intakes, given
the mismanagement of Syrian refugee settlement by the Baird
4. Sydneys planning laws must be overhauled to make the city
more efficient and sustainable. An urban containment strategy is
needed. For existing suburbs, One Nation supports development and
density restrictions in under-serviced, over-crowded LGAs. The
Government should publish a comprehensive report identifying these
suburbs (most likely, most of the city).
5. The release of greenfields residential land also needs to be
limited to prevent further urban sprawl. Priority should be given
to the development of employment land in Sydney to reduce
commuter-travelling times, especially in the citys outer
6. The Greater Sydney Commission should be disbanded (at an
annual cost saving of $18 million) as it has become a mouthpiece
for Big Australia immigration and unlimited population growth in
Sydney. Political appointments and unrealistic planning strategies
have dominated the Commissions work.
7. The Greater Sydney Commissions excessive housing and
population growth targets should also be abandoned. NSW Planning
should be given the task of containing the citys growth to
reasonable lifestyle, infrastructure and environmental limits.
Local Councils, as the level of government closest to the people,
also have a critical role to play in limiting densities and
development in line with local infrastructure/service capacity. One
Nation respects this vital local government urban planning
8. The State Government should scale back the responsibilities
of the so-called W...